When you’re planning your upcoming move, this checklist can help.
When preparing the move:
• Schedule your move with your relocation specialist.
• Create a “moving file” to store all receipts, bill of lading, mover contact information, household inventory and any other papers that are related to the move.
• Make travel arrangements for your family and pets.
• Plan menus to use any food items you will not be moving, including all perishables.
• Host a yards sale or donate items you will not be planning to keep.
• Make sure you have extra prescriptions with you.
• Schedule disconnection of your utilities.
• Prepare and send moving announcements to your family and friends.
• Give away all live plants you cannot transport yourself.
• Before moving day, dispose of all flammables and items that cannot be shipped.
• Change your address at the post office.
Notify about the move or new address:
• Doctors and dentists, ask for a copy of your records.
• Insurance Agents
• Local Clubs and Organizations (Cancel memberships)
• Veterinarian. Ask for a copy of your pets record
Packing your Home:
• Complete your high value inventory form. If you do not have one, please contact your moving specialist
• Pack and mark boxes with items you will need immediately upon arrival at your new home.
• Remove CDs, DVDs etc. from electronics
• Empty water from steam iron
• Remove all batteries from electronics and small appliances before packing
• Remove any gasoline/oil from lawn mowers, heaters, gas grills and generators.
• Remove all food from refrigerator and freezer. Defrost your freezer 24 hours in advance.
Last Minute Tasks:
• Do a final check of all rooms, closets, cabinets, garage and yard.
• Check to be sure that all windows are locked.
• Turn off all lights and lock the doors.
• Check your mail one final time.
• Surrender house keys
• Take one last photo of your house before leaving.